The benefits of regular stretching cannot be emphasised enough. Stretching helps to lengthen muscles that have shortened, either through exercise or continual repetitive tasks, and can help prevent injury and chronic muscular pain.
General guidelines for safe stretching
• Never stretch cold muscles
• Only stretch to the point of tension
• Stretch slowly and gently, avoiding any abrupt movements
• Stretching should never be painful. If it hurts, lessen the intensity of the stretch
• Breathe slowly and deeply while carrying out the stretch. Do not hold your breath
• Hold the stretch for at least 15 seconds
If you are unsure about any of these exercises, please contact me or consult with a trainer before you commence any of them. Any exercise holds an element of risk if undertaken without supervision. These exercise are recommendations only and are performed at your own risk. Please contact a doctor if necessary before you perform any of the exercises mentioned on this website. If you feel any discomfort during exercise, stop immediately.